Solanaceous Crop Cultivator (QP: AGR/Q0402)
Solanaceous crops include brinjal, tomato, chillies, potato, etc and contribute significantly to India’s vegetable export basket. In terms of value of tomato exports, India was ranked 15th in the world during 2015. In 2011, India was the 2nd largest producer of brinjal, potatoes and tomatoes. There is immense potential for profitable cultivation of solanaceous crops using hybrid technologies, disease-resistant and pest-resistant varieties, improved crop management practices, etc.
The course shall equip successful trainees with the knowledge and skills required for cultivation of solanaceous crops as per the standard practices recommended for a particular agronomic climate zone, type of soil, rainfall pattern and climatic conditions to achieve optimal yields and sell the produce as per competitive market prices. Trainees shall be trained on various aspects like seed selection & seedling production, soil preparation and transplanting solanaceous crops, soil nutrient management, weed control and management, integrated pest and disease management, irrigation management, harvest and post-harvest management, basic farm management, assimilating market information, maintaining health & safety at the workplace, etc
Desirable Personal Traits:
· Good stamina and physical fitness
· Knowledge of basic arithmetic and algebra principles
· Ability to work independently
· Good decision-making skills, problem-solving abilities and risk-bearing capacity, entrepreneurial skills, Passion for agriculture
Job prospects: Solanaceous Crop Cultivator
150 hours of internship with farms and nurseries
Assessment and Certification:
Continuous assessment is carried out by the Training Service Provider and final assessment by an independent assessor, assigned by the Sector Skill Council. Certificate will be issued by Government of Kerala and the Sector Skill Council, to successful trainees.
· Students enrolled in Standard XI in any stream;/ Students enrolled in 1st year of Bachelor’s Degree course in any stream;
· Students who have successfully completed ‘Aptitude Test’ and ‘Personal Interview’